Thursday, March 31, 2011

SCOTT PILGRIM VOLUMES 4–6

Since these are such quick, addictive reads, I was happy to find Scott Pilgrim Gets It Together, Scott Pilgrim vs. the Universe, and Scott Pilgrim’s Finest Hour all available at the same time on the library shelf so that I could finish the series in one fell swoop. I’d been afraid my interest was flagging after Volume 3, but that may have been just the distracting conditions under which I read it or a temporary plateau caused by my grownup frustration with Scott’s continual cluelessness. In these last books, Scott does indeed finally get it together, and the action progresses at a good pace toward a satisfying ending. By the last volume, I’d become so attached to the characters that I was “Awww”ing sentimentally as they gained closure (I particularly loved what happens with Stephen Stills). I don’t have any big conclusions to draw here, besides that this is a smart, fun series. I’m not sure I loved them enough to buy my own copies, but I’m glad I read them once (and now I want to see the movie again).

No comments:

Post a Comment