Thursday, November 11, 2010

SEPTEMBER READING NUBBINS

Changing My Mind: Occasional Essays, by Zadie Smith: I’ve never quite fallen in love with Smith, but she’s brilliant and a fan of E.M. Forster and Buffy, so that makes her A-OK in my book. Although this collection is a bit uneven, it’s always interesting to watch the elegantly expressed workings of her mind, and I loved some of the literary and personal pieces. Thanks for the recommendation, Editor A!

Sh*t My Dad Says, by Justin Halpern: Lent to me by Editor A. I probably wouldn’t have picked it up on my own, but I’ve got to admit it was pretty hilarious. The Twitter-feed quotes provided most of the laughs, but Halpern adds some welcome content by interspersing brief essays about his dad. Still semi-disposable, but I didn’t regret the hour or so it took to read.

The Complete Peanuts: 1963-1964, by Charles M. Schulz: More Peanuts awesomeness. ’Nuff said.

No comments:

Post a Comment