Friday, March 5, 2010

REMAKE

Having read all the major Connie Willis novels, I’m slowly picking away at the various short stories and novellas that remain. My library didn’t have this one, but I wanted to get my hands on it because it’s about movies, so it was part of my Christmas Amazon gift-card haul. If I’d read a library copy first, I might not have felt the need to buy it, but even though it wasn’t her best work, it was still a fun and fast read. Set in a future where computers have replaced live movie production (old films are endlessly re-edited with different stars, dead actors are mashed together into remakes, and controlled substances such as alcohol are deleted entirely), Remake was a timely read, considering I’d just seen Avatar a few weeks before. Sometimes the futuristicness felt a little stale and belabored (the slang got dense and showoffy), the characters were a bit flat, and even though it was short I grew impatient with the plot (lots of scenes of the narrator doing drugs/getting drunk and editing films). But I loved the basic concept and all the detailed, well-researched references to classic films. It made me want to binge on old movies. And I think now that I know not to expect a huge payoff, it might make an enjoyable reread in a couple of years.

No comments:

Post a Comment