Tuesday, January 26, 2010

DECEMBER READING NUBBINS

The Best American Crime Reporting 2009, ed. Jeffrey Tobin: As I’ve said before, I think anthologies make perfect airline reading, and this one, with its built-in mystery and suspense, fit the bill especially well for my Thanksgiving travels (though I didn’t complete it until I returned, obviously). I found the essay on the Zankou Chicken murders especially fascinating, since it takes place in our neck of the woods and we love their food.

Tea Time for the Traditionally Built, by Alexander McCall Smith (audio): A perfectly pleasant way to while away a few commutes, though I confess I’ve already forgotten the plot.

Best Food Writing 2009, ed. Holly Hughes: For my Christmas in-flight entertainment. I read this anthology every year, and always enjoy it, particularly when it contains something new by Calvin Trillin. In general, though, I’m going to resolve to read fewer “best ___ writing” anthologies in 2010. They’re temporarily diverting, but I never feel satisfied after I’ve read them, and considering how many books I have on my reading list, I think my time could be better spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment