Friday, June 12, 2009

V FOR VENDETTA

V for Vendetta, by Alan Moore and David Lloyd: Yet another step in my descent toward possible comic-book nerddom. Especially the fact that after enjoying the book, I rewatched the movie, a movie I had previously liked, and couldn’t stand how different it was from the book. Hugo Weaving, Stephen Rea, and Stephen Fry were great, and the segment where Evie is in prison was quite faithful to the book, but everything else—I get that you might have to simplify the plot, maybe remove a few characters and take out the LSD sequence, but so many huge, unnecessary changes! Like, oh, the entire political context? And the ending? And…wait, Evie and V are in love? Ack. Thanks for ruining my multimedia experiences with your superior writing, Alan Moore. (Luckily, I will not under any circumstances be watching the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movie, since the consensus is that it’s dreck anyway. I mean, Mina is a vampire and Tom Sawyer is part of the League? Puh-leeze.)

No comments:

Post a Comment