Friday, January 25, 2008

GENTLEMEN OF THE ROAD/SUMMERLAND

As the Month of Chabon goes on, my esteem for him continues to grow; I’ve definitely crossed over from casual reader to actual fan. Is there no genre he can’t take on? Thanks to Editor A, who recommended it and lent it to me, I greatly enjoyed Gentlemen of the Road, aka “Jews With Swords” (in the Afterword, which is genius in and of itself, Chabon claims this was the book’s original title). It’s a brief, swashbuckling illustrated adventure tale that (although it contains no magic) somehow pleasantly reminded me of the Judith Tarr fantasy novels (particularly the “Hound and the Falcon” and “Avaryan Rising” trilogies) I loved as a teenager, even down to certain plot points. I’m very curious to know whether Chabon ever read them, or if the similarity is just a coincidence of genre. Now I’m rereading Summerland and still think it’s a near-perfect young adult novel. Though I’ve now caught up with all Chabon’s major works (I’ve left his two short-story collections unread, as well as the two McSweeney’s anthologies he edited), I’ll be sorry for the month to end. Can’t wait to see what his next novel is like!

No comments:

Post a Comment