Monday, July 17, 2006

PNIN

After the shameful failure to finish Reading Project Book 7, I’ve moved right on to Book 8, Pnin, by Vladimir Nabokov.

Why I own this book: L gave it to me for Christmas in 2000.

Why I haven’t read it: If you can believe it, I haven’t read anything by Nabokov, and, again, wasn’t sure I’d like him.

Why I still own it: Gift! With a sweet note inscribed by L on the title page that says, in part, “This is a good book. Read it. I have programmed it to self-destruct at 12-25-01, so get a move on.”

The verdict: Although I did not take L’s advice, I was lucky it didn’t self-destruct, because I really love this book! Although not very much happens (it’s basically just a character study, with a little academic satire and reflections on the immigrant experience), Nabokov’s painstakingly detailed style is a treat to read. I definitely plan to read more by him (perhaps next year’s Project will be to read the further works of authors I have enjoyed in the past?). Maybe Pale Fire, because I’ve heard Pnin has a cameo in it, hee.

No comments:

Post a Comment