Thursday, March 23, 2006

LOVE MEDICINE

Book 3 of the Read-Everything-I-Own Project is Love Medicine, by Louise Erdrich (that makes two MN authors in a row for the Project!).

Why I own this book: L gave it to me; she loves Louise Erdrich.

Why I hadn’t read it: Sheer laziness.

Why I still own it: It was a gift, and besides, it’s now signed by the author, from when L and I went to one of her readings a few years ago and L got so excited she turned bright pink when she finally got face to face with Louise. I like being reminded of L’s cuteness. (Also, Random Erdrich Connection: Louise’s sister, Heid, was one of my writing professors in college.)

The verdict: It was skillfully written, but I found the characters hard to relate to (lots of drama and dysfunction). This is more my problem than the book’s, but prevents it from becoming a favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment