Wednesday, July 27, 2005

ANIMALS IN TRANSLATION

Animals in Translation: Using the Mysteries of Autism to Decode Animal Behavior, by Temple Grandin: Grandin is autistic, has a Ph.D. in animal behavior, and works (among other things) designing more humane methods for 50% of the nations’ slaughterhouses. She believes, and argues very convincingly, that being autistic actually gives her more insight into animal behavior because her brain functions more like an animal’s (totally detail-oriented, visual rather than verbal, etc.). Not only are her ideas really fascinating, but they are also laid out very clearly and concretely, with copious examples. When I read science writing I often struggle to understand some of the more abstract concepts; my brain reads the words faster than it can process the ideas, and I end up going over the same passages again and again, trying to wrap my head around them while my eyes glaze over in boredom. But because of the way Grandin’s mind works, I think, she takes complex ideas step by step, one little bit at a time, using simple words and sentences but somehow conveying huge insights. I’m riveted and am learning a lot almost effortlessly. I’d almost forgotten how much I like reading about animals. When I was a kid I had simultaneous subscriptions to Ranger Rick, National Geographic World, and Zoobooks. Then somehow I grew up into a science-phobe.

No comments:

Post a Comment